Spring is only a few short weeks away. If you are like me then you can’t wait for the warmer weather. And Spring days are a perfect time to visit wineries whether it is out in California or a local one close to home. Get a group of friends together or make a romantic date out of it. Wineries provide a fun and relaxed atmosphere. Just remember a few things to make it a great wine tasting.
- Don’t wear a strong perfume or cologne. The smells can interfere with the subtle aromas in the wine.
- White wines are tasted first, followed by reds, and then dessert wines. It is ok to skip some if you are only interested in reds or a certain varietals, but let them know prior to the pour.
- Most wineries have a tasting sheet and tasting notes. Go ahead and look it over while you wait to sip. See if you get any of the same aromas or flavors on the tasting notes written by the winery.
- You do not have to drink all the wine that is poured. There are dump buckets for you to pour out the unwanted wine.
- Usually you do not ask for a second taste unless you are interested in purchasing a wine.
- Water, cheese, or crackers might be provided. Use them to clear your palate as you go through the tasting.
- Most importantly – have fun! The sweet juice of the gods is waiting for your visit.